Introduction to Krishna the Psychology Major

My name is Krishna Gandhi, and I am a Junior Psychology Major and Sociology Minor here at the University of Oklahoma. One of the coolest things about my major is that it is used in just about any field out there. Psychology is pretty popular because anyone who is knowledgeable in this field can help just about anyone. I really enjoy Psychology because it is interesting to understand why people are the way they are and how they think. Last semester I was in nursing school at the University of Oklahoma Health Science Center. I did not really enjoy the way the classes were taught which is why I came back to the Norman campus so I could finish my degree in Psychology. I did have a favorite class that I took in the Spring of 2020. It was Criminology and was taught by Professor Christopher Hill. I really enjoyed this class mainly because of the way it was taught. We watched movies and through that, we learned the concepts of what made the characters do what they did even if it was wrong.

My biggest accomplishment last semester was getting accepted into the University of Oklahoma Health Science Center Nursing Program. I was ecstatic about it, but in the end, it did not work out. However, that is not going to stop me from finishing out my Psychology degree. I have also managed to keep above a 3.9 GPA which I am very proud of. 

Ever since I was little, I have loved to read. In high school, I was known as that one girl who would bring her book everywhere including to lunch. However, ever since I have come to college, I have not had the time to read any novels. I really do miss reading. My favorite genre is fantasy. I love that feeling of when you are reading a book and it takes you to another place. My favorite book series is The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare and Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan. The Mortal Instruments is about half-angel/half-human people called the Nephilim who would fight demons to keep the world safe. Percy Jackson focuses on Greek Mythology which is something that interests me greatly. If I find the time to read, I would like to next read a book series that focuses on Norse Mythology.

In my spare time since I cannot read for hours on end, I decided to read short anime stories on an app called Webtoon. It has so many different genres to pick from. Some are all about romance while some focus on a moral at the end. If I cannot read, I might watch tv shows and movies instead. My favorite tv and movie genres include science fiction, action, fantasy, psychological thriller, and anime. I love watching shows like The Flash, Supernatural, Shadowhunters, Lucifer, Teen Wolf, Stranger Things, Lost in Space, and much more. One of my favorite movies is Interstellar and an underrated movie on Netflix called Time Trap. Honestly, it is like a hidden gem. I honestly miss being able to go out to the movie theatre to watch these movies. I have missed out on so many movies because of it.

Cooper exploring a potentially habitable planet (Source: Storylitfilm)

Whenever I was younger my sister and I would try to convince our parents in letting us get a pet. Every time we would bring it up, they would say no. It was when I became 20 years old did that dream ever come true. Not because they finally decided to let us get one, but because my sister got one without really asking anyone and dropped off the dog at my parents' house. We got our dog, Milo, one month before the Covid-19 disrupted our lives. it was because of that time frame that I believe Milo got lucky. My mum and dad absolutely adore him now. It is like he left me and my sister and became their friend. I am just so grateful that my sister got Milo when she did otherwise, we still would not know what it is like to have a pet.

Personal photo of my dad with Milo; photo from December 2020.

I have several hobbies that I like to do in my spare time whenever that may be. I love drawing, baking, reading, and painting. I once even won a statewide award for my painting I did back in high school. I miss those days when I had time to do stuff that I enjoyed. I want to try some new hobbies though. I would like to go to the gym more often and take up swimming classes. I hope once Covid-19 dies back down that I can try these new activities out and make them into my new hobbies.

Personal photo of the painting which won in the statewide art competition; photo from March 2018.

Comments

  1. Hi Krishna! I grew up reading Percy Jackson!! Greek Mythology is so fascinating to me I could learn about it and read about the stories forever. I also think it's so cool you got a statewide award for your art! One of my hobbies is also painting, it's my stress reliever in a sense, and I also wish I had more time for it. Hopefully in the summer or when you are less busy you can get back into all the hobbies you enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Krishna! Baking is also one of my hobbies. I really like to bake in my spare time because at the end I always have a tasty treat to enjoy. I used to read A LOT when I was younger, but once I hit high school it was hard to keep up with all my activities and still have time to read, I hope I can get back into reading soon, and maybe even finally read the Percy Jackson books that I never got to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Krishna. It sounds like you have worked very hard, so it is great news that you were able to get accepted into the University of Oklahoma Health Science Center Nursing Program. You definitely deserve it. I think it is funny that you were finally able to get a pet when you were in college, because I have observed that to be a similar theme among my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Krishna! I took a class with Dr. Hill as well, but it was Sociology of Deviance! I really enjoyed it, and he was such a nice professor. I grew up reading the Percy Jackson books, but I have not read the Mortal Instruments series - it sounds really cool though. I also love Interstellar so I should probably check out that Time Trap movie you mentioned! Congrats on being almost done with your degree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Krishna, I find it so amazing that you are majoring in a career that creates a big impact to the community around you! Also, congratulations on keeping you GPA above a 3.9 – that is a very big achievement that you should be proud of! I absolutely love the picture of Milo! Also, that painting is beautiful! Have an amazing semester ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Krishna, I love Psychology and have tried to take as many different Psych classes that I have been able to while not majoring in it. If I were able to start college all over again I think that I would probably choose Psychology. I too love reading and since quarantine have picked it up again. I even joined Book of the Month club where they send me a new book each month and I highly recommend it to anyone who loves reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Krishna! I'm and Economics major and a Psychology Minor and I absolutely love learning about Psychology as well. We seem to have very similar taste in TV shows, books, and movies. I loved reading the Percy Jackson books and some of the other Rick Riordan series and was actually just thinking about re-reading that series. I also love Interstellar, it definitely has to be in my top 5 movies. Good Luck on the rest of your college career and great job on that 3.9 GPA!

    ReplyDelete

  8. I am always excited when there are psychology majors in this class because psychology gives you so much insight into the characters in stories... and also in how you learn too, and being self-aware of your own learning process is so helpful in learning to write! Plus it sounds like great preparation for nursing. And I know Dr. Hill: he and I are Twitter buddies. From what he writes about at Twitter, his classes always sound like they would be great to take, just like what you described here in your post!
    And I hear you about not having time to read during school. I love summers because that's when I can do more reading... but my list-of-books-to-read keeps getting longer and longer. Every year! But now that I know I will never even come close to catching up, I don't worry about it. I just read whenever I can, and keep adding new books-to-read to the list. Plus movies and TV shows too, ha ha. I will have to check out Time Trap; I have not heard about that one, but I love (LOVE) time travel stories, so that sounds like one I should definitely add to the list.
    That photo of Milo is great: what a cutie! Pets have a good way of winning people over (my father claimed to not like pets... but even he could not resist their adorableness in the end). And maybe you will be inspired to design a mandala or something to use at your website for this class; the painting you did is beautiful, with the colors and shapes all radiating! I'm not good at designing things, but I love to do coloring books, and mandala coloring books are my favorites. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Krishna! Congrats on getting accepted into nursing school - I know that is not easy. Also congrats on following your feeling that it wasn't working out and coming back to psychology! I know changing major can be a bear but you have to do what works best for you. I also love reading - the Percy Jackson books are great!
    Milo is so cute! I don't remember if I left a picture of my dog, Bernard, on my intro but he is a hot mess. My mom did not want a small dog and had never had a male dog - Bernard is both and her favorite. Funny how that happens. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Krishna!
    First of all congratulations on getting into the nursing school, that is a great achievement and something to celebrate! I like you love psychology. I took it my freshman year and I have been wanting to take another psychology class as soon as I can. It is so interesting to learn about people and understand why we do the things we do. I love the story of how you got your dog because it falls hand in hand with how I got my dog and it is very nostalgic for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Krishna, it’s a pleasure to meet you through this extensive and interesting introduction! I completely understand loving to read and not finding the time to do so during college. An easy way I have found to keep reading is to download an app called Libby. It is an online, mobile library that allows you to download e-books from your library as long as you have an active library card. I’m able to check out books from my hometown without driving five hours round trip. I also read webtoons, my favorite is Space Boy by Stephen McCranie. What’s your favorite? I hope you have a great semester!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Krishna! Congratulations on getting into nursing school! That is amazing and definitely something to celebrate! I think psychology is so cool and I really enjoyed taking it! I have only taken two psychology courses but I would love to take more! Milo is so cute!! The painting is absolutely beautiful! Wishing you the best on the rest of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Krishna, based on your interests I honestly think we could be great friends. I was already thinking you are a cool person when you said you like TMI and PJO, but then you said you read Webtoons also and I was amazed! I love YA fantasy, and I actually read the newest Cassandra Clare book (Chain of Iron) a couple of weeks ago after it came out. Some of my favorite Webtoons are: Lore Olympus, The Remarried Empress, Let's Play, True Beauty (also, loved the kdrama!!), Midnight Poppy Land, and a few others. There's also a Webtoon for The Wrath & the Dawn, which is a really good YA fantasy duology! I don't know if you read any of those, but if not then I highly recommend them! I hope you have a great semester!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Krishna, I am sad to hear that nursing school didn't turn out as you would've liked, but I am glad that you are studying what you love now! I loved Percy Jackson when I was growing up, it is a staple of my childhood. I am also really glad that you got a dog! My parents are like yours, and I have been begged since forever to have a dog. Maybe I should just follow in your sister's footsteps. Good luck with everything in the future, you will do amazing things!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Krishna! Psychology was one of the subjects I considered for a minor, and I've taken a few of the upper division courses as electives (Cognitive Psych was super interesting!) I'm sorry nursing school didn't work out, but it's good to hear you're taking it in stride and finishing the psychology degree. I can relate a little, as I had a similar experience with chemical engineering. Great choices on the literature, I've been meaning to read Percy Jackson as well as Mortal Instruments for a long time. Best of luck with the rest of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Krishna!

    I completely related to not having time to read anymore since coming to college. I was the same way, I read any chance I got from the time I was in kindergarten to my senior year of high school. My freshman year of college I simply did not find the time anymore, but then my sophomore I started listening to audiobooks and it has been the best thing! I listen to books anytime I'm driving, cleaning my apartment, getting ready, or just have some down time. I also love fantasy and love the Mortal Instruments. I highly highly recommend the Throne of Glass series, and the A Court of Thorns and Roses series, both by Sarah J Maas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts