Reading Notes: The Five Tall Sons of Pandu, Part A

Notes:

This version of the five sons of Pandu is very interesting because they do not seem to really want anything and are glad about what they have. It was like this in the Tiny Tales version, but in that version, they had powers from the gods. In this version, however, they do not have any powers nor are the gods ever mentioned. This story is just completely mundane because there is no supernatural element to it. I like that because it has a sense of reality to it. Like this could actually happen. The first section was written well. I liked that Arjun finally had a match with someone who had a similar skill set to him. It made the competition scene better because both are worthy competitors. I enjoyed Karna being that person. If I were to retell this scene, I would give Karna a bigger role.

The second section was very entertaining. I liked the spin on how Draupadi is supposed to choose her spouse. I liked that Draupadi was abrupt with Karna by saying that she will not marry him. I felt kind of sad for him, but I was glad that Draupadi went with her gut feeling that he is not the one for her. I also thought it was interesting that all five of the sons did not marry Draupadi because, in the Tiny Tales version, Draupadi was the wife of all five of the brothers. I liked that the mother said that Yudhishthir being the eldest and all deserved Draupadi to be his wife while Arjun retained the honor of his victory. If I had the chance to change this scene to where Draupadi married Karna, I would. I think it would make the ripple effect of what happens afterward very interesting because Karna may not be the enemy because he was their half-brother. Perhaps, if she married Karna then this whole war may have not happened.

Draupadi and Yudhishthir getting married. (Source)

Bibliography: The Five Tall Sons of Pandu, Richard Wilson

Comments

Popular Posts