Feedback Strategies

What I learned from the article, Preschoolers and Praise, is that the word "yet" is very crucial in the way children grow up because it gives them confidence which can help them succeed in the future. Also, it is important that children know what they did well or for what reason. For example, the teacher said, "Sali good job sharing your crayons with Mady." This example is a good way for Sali to understand why the teacher gave her praise an with it she can learn from it. The article also mentions the growth midest model pioneered by Dweck. We learned that this helps children understand that it is okay if they cannot do it at this moment, but eventually they will be able to. It is a matter of yet.

After reading the article, Be a Mirror, I learned that a fixed minset limits the way children advances and stops them from putting in more effort to make themselves better. For example, children who have a set mindset might think the level where they are at is sufficient enough; whereas, some children keep wanting to make themselves better. I thought the role of being a "mirror" is very important because it is supposed to reflect without there being any judgement. It acknowledges what the students are actually putting in and not what they do not have.

Here are 20 Ways to Give Good Feedback. Source

I am not so confident in giving feedback but I believe that if I try a couple of time, I can learn from my mistakes and become better. One strategy that I might recommend is focusing and giving feedback on what the student/writer wrote and not what was missing. I would not want to make the student/writer feel like they did not do a good job.

Comments

Popular Posts