Reading Notes: Tiny Tales from the Ramayana, Section B

Notes:

I really enjoyed reading about Hanuman. I specifically liked the story of when Hanuman was a baby and was so hungry that he thought the sun was a nice mango. I may change up this part so instead of the perspective coming from Hanuman it will change to the storm-god Indra. He will be speaking, but the readers will also be able to read his thoughts. It will be cute, but teaches Hanuman a lesson, as well.

I also liked reading about Sugriva and Vali. I thought that it was nice that the two brothers listened to each other; however, I understand why Vali thought Sugriva betrayed him. I want to focus on Sugriva's point of view instead of Vali's because Vali needs to understand why Sugriva decided to seal the cave shut with a bolder. I may add another minor character in the story. It would be a helper of Sugriva and that person would go into the cave and see who is victorious. But after seeing both Vali and Mayavi in the cave on the ground, the helper comes back out and says believes that both of them perished in the battle.

I really enjoyed reading the story where Rama tries to catch the golden deer Sita wanted to keep as a pet. I want to make the process of Ravana catching Sita more detailed. Also, I want to change Jatayu's nobleness into where he can detect when someone is lying. So, when Ravana asks Jatayu where his strength resides, he can lie and figure out a way to find where Ravana's strength resides and defeat him. Jatayu would bring Sita home to Rama and be a hero. I do not want Jatayu to die in my re-interpretation because I feel like he is a very noble and honorable character in the story.

There may not be a lot of changes, but I feel that it will give the story a good twist.

Vali and Sugriva fighting against one another. Source: ritsin

BibliographyTiny Tales from the Ramayana, Laura Gibbs

Comments

Popular Posts