Reading Notes: Tiny Tales from the Mahabharata, Section A

Notes:

I have really enjoyed the first quarter of the Tiny Tales from the Mahabharata; however, it is very different compared to the Tiny Tales from the Ramayana. I really enjoyed the part of the Mahabharata where it talked about King Pandu and his half-brother, Prince Dhritarashtra. I thought it was very intriguing that each of the brothers had a unique characteristic concerning them. King Pandu was pale when he was born, while Prince Dhritarashtra was blind when he was born. They also had a half-brother that had all the characteristics of being a king but was not born into the royal bloodline. I really liked this storyline. I feel like I could make a really cool different version of this storyline about the three of them. Perhaps like an alternate reality where only one of the siblings can remember the original timeline and try to convince their half-siblings to correct their past wrongdoings to teach them a lesson. That would be pretty epic, like in a movie.

I also enjoyed the part where it tells us how Karna's life is filled with curses. In the story, it mentions that Karna accidentally killed a brahmin's cow and caused the earth great pain by pressing the earth very hard. I could come up with a different curse that Karna may have gone through. Perhaps, he stepped on a guru's foot by accident, so in his next life, his feet will be hard to move because they are so heavy. Or I could say he started a fire by accident, so every time he enters his own home, it burns down; however, if he stays with someone else, that will not happen. I think it would add a fun element of the readers being able to see what other curses Karna may have gone through in his life.

Prince Dhritarashtra and his wife, who willingly 
shared her husband's blindness. (Source)

BibliographyTiny Tales from the Mahabharata, Laura Gibbs

Comments

Popular Posts