Reading Notes: The Five Tall Sons of Pandu, Part B

Notes:

After reading sections seven through twelve, I have found myself to have really liked this version of the Mahabharata. It is a lot different from the Tiny Tales version. In section seven, I thought it was interesting that King Virata's Court and Kingdom found out the true identities of the five sons and Queen Draupadi. If it was up to me, I would have told Prince Uttara to keep Arjun's identity a secret along with his brothers and Draupadi. It is important to have the element of surprise when in battle.

I really enjoyed the part in section eight, where Krishna told Arjun off about his indecisiveness and decided to leave the war. After getting out of the chariot, and running after Krishna, Krishna finally explained something that made Arjun aware that he cannot be indecisive when at war. He finally forgives Arjun, and they go back to war. I really liked that one-on-one scene with Krishna and Arjun. If it was up to me, I would add more scenes between the two. It seems like Arjun needs a reassuring friend around him just in case he doubts himself, Krishna will always be there.

I was actually quite surprised in section ten that Karna was barely mentioned. If I were able to rewrite that section, I would give Karna more emphasis because he played an important part in this story. I would have given Karna some fight scenes with all of the brothers, but eventually, he would be killed by Arjun. I would have given Arjun the ability to feel bad for his half-brother Karna and killing him would play a big toll on him. It would show some emotional state of Arjun. I think it is important for men to feel emotions as well. In the end, I would have Krishna come and tell Arjun that he had to do what he did, in order for the kingdom to return to a state of blissful happiness.

One of the battles from the Mahabharata. (Source)

Bibliography: The Five Tall Sons of Pandu, Richard Wilson

Comments

Popular Posts